Rated five stars on TripAdvisor and 3 Diamonds by AAA, we are conveniently located one mile from the beautiful shores and beaches of Lake Michigan in downtown Ludington. The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast is situated along Ludington Avenue, just five blocks from shopping, antiquing, restaurants, breweries, ice cream, and entertainment.
Three lighthouses, the S.S. Badger car ferry to Wisconsin, the Ludington Area Center for the Arts, the Port of Ludington Maritime Museum and beautiful Ludington State Park are all nearby.
Each of our five rooms or suites offers private, en suite bathrooms. Enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep in a queen or king-size bed framed in cherry, oak or antique brass. Relax in the jetted tub included in our Ansel Adams Suite or enjoy the large, custom-tiled walk-in shower in our newly remodeled Monet Suite. Stay in touch with the outside world with complimentary WIFI, and cable channels on our flat screen TVs. A refrigerator with complimentary beverages, microwave, and freshly brewed coffee and tea are available 24/7, for all guests.
Enjoy Michigan’s spring and summer seasons and wander outside to enjoy the beautiful gardens and outdoor spaces. Read a book, have your morning coffee, or enjoy a glass of wine in our cozy gazebo. We enjoy serving breakfast on the deck or patio – weather permitting, of course! In the cooler months of Fall and Winter, start and end your day by relaxing in front of the fireplace in our parlor.
The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast is an 1894 Queen Anne Victorian built by Dr. George W. Crosby. Born in 1861 in Allegan, Michigan, Dr. Crosby moved to Ludington in the Spring of 1885, shortly after graduating from the University of Michigan. In the Spring of 1886, he married Viola Gaudette. In 1899, the home was sold to Harriett J. Pelletier following the divorce of Dr. and Mrs. Crosby.
Charles E. Cartier, an important industrial figure in Ludington who served as city mayor from 1908-9 and elected State Senator in 1910, inherited the home from Harriett in 1904. In 1921, the house was acquired a fourth time after Cartier sold to Dr. Frederick William Heysett, a local surgeon. After his death in 1939, the house changed hands several more times.
In 1966, Kenneth and Mabel Anderson purchased the property and during the next 24 years, the elegant old house was home to a variety of businesses including Secretary of State, a dentist office, beauty parlor and eventually a real estate office. As the home was slowly converted from residence to business, structural changes took place, including the removal of the beautiful large porch and balcony that surrounded the Ludington Avenue entrance. In 1990, Mabel restored the home to some of its original splendor and started its life as a Michigan bed & breakfast. The Lamplighter was acquired by Heinz and Judy Bertram in April of 1993 where they continued the restoration. Bill and Jane Carpenter followed as Innkeepers and Proprietors for the next 14 years, and saw to it that every guest that walked through the door was welcomed in the most gracious way only they could do! And now it’s our turn to be the best stewards we can possibly be to both this lovely old home and every guest we’re blessed to welcome who crosses her threshold.
We invite you to come visit and see for yourself all the old world charm the Lamplighter still displays today.