The Lamplighter Bed & Breakfast is a Queen Anne Victorian built around 1894 by Dr. George W. Crosby. Born in 1861 in Allegan, Michigan, Dr. Crosby moved to Ludington in the Spring of 1885, shortly after graduating from the University of Michigan, where he practiced medicine as a surgeon. In the Spring of 1886, he married Viola Gaudette. In 1899, the home was sold to Harriett J. Pelletier following the divorce of Dr. and Mrs. Crosby.
Charles E. Cartier, an important industrial figure in Ludington who served as city mayor from 1908-9 and elected State Senator in 1910, inherited the home from Harriett in 1904. In 1921, the house was acquired a fourth time after Cartier sold to Dr. Frederick William Heysett, a local surgeon who was raised in Ludington. After his death in 1939, the house changed hands several more times.
In 1966, it was purchased by Kenneth and Mabel Anderson, and during the next 24 years, the elegant old house was home to a variety of businesses including Secretary of State, a dentist office, beauty parlor and eventually a real estate office. As the home was slowly converted from residence to business, structural changes took place, including the removal of the beautiful large porch and balcony that surrounded the Ludington Avenue entrance. In 1990, Mabel restored the home to some of its original splendor and thus started its life as a Bed & Breakfast. The Lamplighter was acquired by Heinz and Judy Bertram in April of 1993 where they continued the restoration. When they retired, Bill and Jane Carpenter took over as Innkeepers and Proprietors and saw to it that every guest that walked through the door for the next 14 years was welcomed in the most gracious way only they could do! And now it’s our turn to be the best stewards we can possibly be to both this lovely old home and every guest we’re blessed to welcome who crosses her threshold.
We hope you’ll come visit and see for yourself all the old world charm the Lamplighter still displays today!